Just a quickie but I’ve been meaning to have a bash at the cake recipe widely rumoured to be the favourite of The King himself for some time now. If there was a dude who knew how to eat, well, maybe we’ll get to Henry VIII another time but Elvis certainly did too! Think pound cake with extra cream. Think soft, moist and rich with a fantastic crisp sugary crust. Don’t skimp on the vanilla and excuse the mixed units!
1. Grease a large loaf tin
2. Cream 3 cups of sugar with 250g butter then mix in seven eggs, one at a time.
3. In a separate bowl measure out 3 cups of plain white flour, then take out 3tbspns. Add 3 tbspns corn flour, mix well then pass through a sieve THREE times. Yes you do have to do it three times. Elvis will know if you don’t .
4. Fold half the flour into the butter mix then stir in one cup of whipping cream and two tsp of vanilla extract.
5. Fold in the rest of the flour then transfer to tin.
6. Put tin into a cold oven (no I’ve never heard of such a thing either), set heat to about 175C and cook for about an hour until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
7. Serve to a rock n roll soundtrack with cream and fresh berries, or custard, or a deep fried peanut butter sandwich.